Sea Hawk FGA.6 WV908 was built at the Armstrong Whitworth factory at Baginton, Coventry, in 1954 as an FGA.4 variant and assembled at the company’s Bitteswell airfield before being delivered to the Royal Navy in 1955. She served initially with 807 Naval Air Squadron (NAS) and then 898 NAS embarked in HMS Ark Royal and HMS Bulwark and ashore at Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) Brawdy.
After conversion to FGA.6 standard at Fleetlands in 1958 she flew with 806 NAS until 1960 when she was reassigned to a training role with 738 Squadron at RNAS Lossiemouth. In 1962 the aircraft was sent for storage at the Royal Naval Aircraft Yard Belfast before being loaned to the RAF Apprentices School at RAF Halton in 1971 for use as a systems trainer. She was then acquired by RNAS Culdrose, which bears the name HMS Seahawk as a ‘ground runner’, used to train carrier deck personnel. At this juncture a team of volunteers restored her to flying display condition with her taking to the skies in 1978 before transferring to RNAS Yeovilton to join the Royal Navy Historic Flight in 1982.
In 1989 she underwent a complete refurbishment at British Aerospace’s Dunsfold works which was completed in 1996 in the markings she wore when serving with 806 NAS on front line service in HMS Albion. The aircraft was a regular on the air show circuit around the UK until she was withdrawn in 2010.
In 2016, the aircraft was placed in dehumidified storage at RAF Shawbury awaiting the development and funding of a Return to Flight programme. In 2022, with the funding in place, the aircraft was transported to the heritage hangar at RNAS Yeovilton to begin the process of returning her to flight.