Seafire XVII SX336 was built just 15 miles from the Navy Wings heritage hangar by Westland, Yeovil in April 1946 and re-built by Kennet Aviation at North Weald nearly 60 years later.
She entered service with the Royal Navy in 1946 at RNAS Bramcote in Warwickshire and it is thought that she served with 833NAS, Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve.
By 1953 she was transferred to RNAS Stretton near Warrington to be held in storage before it was decided that she should be scrapped in 1955.
It wasn’t until 1973 that her fuselage was discovered in a derelict state and it was another 5 years before her restoration began in 1978. Ownership of the aircraft changed hands several times and it was only in the ownership of former US Navy pilot and entrepreneur, Tim Manna, that she was finally rebuilt and restored to full flying condition by Kennet Aviation at North Weald.
A certificate of Airworthiness was issued in 2003 and she conducted her first post-restoration flight in 2006. She flies in the markings of 767 Naval Air Squadron based at RNAS Yeovilton with 105 on the rear fuselage and the RNAS Yeovilton code VL on the tail. Seafire SX336 is no stranger to Navy Wings, having been affiliated to us as an associate aircraft since she was restored.
Navy Wings acquired the aircraft from our long-time supporter, Tim Manna, in November 2021 and she will take her place in the heritage hangar alongside our other historic aircraft.