The HS554 was built in 1942 and is one of 99 Mark IIs (updated and delivered as a MK.IVs) delivered to Canada by the Royal Navy during the Second World War. Swordfish in Canada served as gunnery trainers and in anti- submarine patrol work operating from No. 1 Naval Air Gunnery School Yarmouth and Dartmouth (both RCAF administered), Nova Scotia. Yarmouth was set up to train Telegraphist-Air Gunners (TAGS) for the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm and when the school closed in 1945 over 700 gunners had been graduated. Not being economical to repatriate these aircraft to Britain, they were donated to the fledgling Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) before finally being retired from service in 1946.
HS554 was previously part of the Ernie Simmons collection in Tillsonburg, ON and the Vintage Wings of Canada. This airframe is now with private owners at White Waltham and is being restored back to flight. Read more